Monday, October 15, 2012

Sports Books That Will Engage Young Athletes


Money Ball by Michael Lewis was the first book I read this past summer. It took me a long time, not because I didn't have time to read, but because I had to do so much thinking and re-reading to consider the impact the information in the book has for me as a coach of players. I'm not sure why it was so controversial. I suppose if you were portrayed as one of the characters in the book that didn't like Billy Bean, the manager, then maybe you would feel the facts are twisted. Controversy was also risen from the details of baseball life that author Michael Lewis was expected to keep within it's exclusive club.  It does contain some very popular baseball vocabulary that I suppose is only meant for the dugout.  Therefor, I suggest that parents preview the content of the book before their children read it.

Other more kid friendly sports books I would promote to any sport loving kids are the books by Mike Lupica. Lupica does not only write about baseball, as in Heat,  The Big Field, and Wild Pitch.  He also has other sports covered as well, such as Summer Ball, The Penalty Kick, and The Red Zone. So no matter what sport you are into, Mike Lupica has a book for you.

Check out Mike Lupica's website and tell us what books you have read or would like to read:  http://www.mikelupicabooks.com/


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Moneyball is based on a true story about the Oakland athletics baseball team.I thought the movie was very good i didn't lose any interest.

      Delete
    2. i would like to see the movie to.

      Delete
  2. The book is much better from a coaches standpoint. They couldn't put all of the statistical thinking in the movie. I couldn't picture Tom Cruise as a character in this book. Kevin Kostner fits baseball movies really well.

    -Mr. Kohl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play baseball and to me both these sound great.

      Delete
  3. has anyone read the book the Big Field? I am reading it now for reading workshop and it is one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the movie Moneyball and it is a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read "The Big Field." I think it compares to the feeling you are going to have when you start moving up to the big diamond when you turn 13. It's different, because of the level of baseball and the championship atmosphere in the book. I don't think we have diamonds like that in Oshkosh. If you keep playing ball, you will have the chance to play on some amazing ball diamonds. Good ball players appreciate the "big fields."

    ReplyDelete
  6. why is baseball becoming less popurlar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont know that is a good qouestion me and my family love baseball and we always talk about why baseball is becoming less popular

      Delete
    2. baseball is one of the most popurlar sports in the world its just the season

      Delete
  7. I am in the middle of Heat, after i am done reading heat i am thinking of reading Big field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eli, what is the book Heat about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micheal Arroyo pitch's for the Bronx baseball team, he pitches very fast 80mph at the age 12.But some thing comes up and he cant play baseball unless it gets fixed.

      Delete
  9. lucas i think it's about a boy who is having a hard time playing a sport

    ReplyDelete
  10. yea i would like to know to what is the book heat about

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont know about you guys but i dont think books will make you a better player at sports. I think well ya it can teach you stuff that you didnt know about but how will it make you better. I think to get better you practice a lot to get better at a sport!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i agree with you by reading a sports book/magazine I think you be a better player at sports practice makes perfect.

      Delete
  12. I wanna read the book and see the movie.I want to read the book first so far what is the book about so i can intrested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lot of baseball stats in it. As a coach it made me think. It might be over your head a little bit. The movie is liked by a lot of sports fans.

      Delete

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.