Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is a Book Always Better Than the Movie?

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

This book was recommended to me by a few of my students. I'm not sure if they were really recommending the book or they saw the movie and assumed the book was good too.

Percy Jackson is not your typical juvenile delinquent child diagnosed with various disabilities and behavior issues. He has attended seven different schools in seven years. After a run in with various monsters that are out to kill him, Percy learns that his father is really the Greek God, Poseidon. That should explain everything right? Wrong. Percy gets sent on a quest to settle the dispute between the Gods, Poseidon, Zeus, and Hades. With his new mythological friends, Annabeth, the daughter of the Goddess Athena, and Grover, a satire who is half man half goat, Percy travels to the underworld to confront Hades and settle this huge misunderstanding. In the process of clearing up the juvenile misunderstandings of the disputing gods, Percy uncovers another possible evil plot of Kronos, the father of the gods and leader of the now banished Titans.

This book reminded me of the Harry Potter series except it involves mythological magic instead of wizards and witches. I enjoyed the fast action and death defying escapes of various monsters just like in Harry Potter. I was frustrated with how many times the characters, for one reason or another, would never finish their thoughts or stories.

I am curious what you think about this book. Has anyone seen the movie, read the book, or both? How do they compare?

Mr. Kohl

2 comments:

  1. You should read The Red Pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have read most of the books in this series. I'm sorry Zac. I try to read as much variety as I can, but fantacy isn't my favorite. I will consider your request.

    ReplyDelete

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.