Friday, January 13, 2012

The Shack by William Paul Young


Shackover.jpgWilliam Paul Young's book, The Shack, tells the tale of Mackenzie Philips's struggle to cope with the brutal kidnapping of his youngest daughter by a suspected serial murderer while on a family camping trip. Mack's oldest daughter is now falling into a darker image of her former loving self, even as Mack and his wife try hard to bury her in their love. Mack has also fallen into his own whirlpool of emotions he has termed, “The Great Sadness", pulling himself away from work, his own family, and his faith. Only his wife, Nan, seems to have been able to hold onto herself and her family, leaning on her own inner strength, her family, and her belief in, Papa, her name for God.

Mack mysteriously receives a note from, Papa, inviting him back up to the Shack in the mountains where evidence of his daughter's last fearful moments were discovered the day she disappeared. At the Shack, Mack meets the three bodies of God among other holy spirits. They each reveal themselves in unique forms; God as a very wise African woman, Jesus looks very similar to Mack's interpretation of Jesus from his school days, and The Holy Spirit is in the form of a beautiful woman, but she radiates an aura of color and light that makes her difficult for Mack to see.

The experience reminds me of the three ghosts that visit Ebenezer Scrooge. During Mack's visit each deity attempts to help Mack not only find his faith, but come to grips with The Great Sadness that will eventually allow him to save himself and his daughter, and forgive the killer for tearing his life apart.

I wasn't sure if I should blog on this book. Most of my audience will be sixth graders. The book is entirely about God and faith. The premise of the story, and the perspective of the author is what really intrigued me. This book made me reflect more than a lot of books I have ever read, and that is why I needed to blog. Many of my students have a hard time thinking deeper than the literal facts of the story they are reading. I want them to know that sometimes you will come across a book that, not only will make you reflect throughout the reading, but will stick with you for some time after you're done. How can you not share a book like that?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Kay. Not sure what I did with your comment. I agree it probably isn't sixth grade material. I just wanted to give an example of how a book can leave me thinking. I hope my students can find that in the books they are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Kohl,
    Several teachers have read this book and it is popular at the high schools.
    Mrs. Stephany

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks like a really good book

    ReplyDelete

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.