Monday, June 15, 2015

Oshkosh Students Meet New Local Author


Freya and the Dragon Egg by K.W. Penndorf

In my years of teaching literacy, I have tried to model for my students the importance of pre-thinking before choosing the book they plan to read for literature circles or reading workshop.  I liked to demonstrate a variety of strategies for the students that included author research and book reviews before they settled on one that would make them critically think about all the plot details. They were going to be assessed using this book, so they'd better make it a good one.  Even still, toping the list of criteria I needed them to understand when choosing a book, was that they needed to ask themselves, “Will I enjoy this book?”  

Another good way to choose a book, is to actually meet the author.  I have been fortunate enough to meet a few. Jerry Spinelli, Gordan Korman, Jacqueline Woodson, and Louis Saccar have all led me to great book discoveries. This past month I happened to visit a neighborhood rummage sale and was drawn to one yard advertising a new author and her first book.  It was there that I met K.W. Penndorf.  I couldn’t help notice how excited she was to meet me, and how enthusiastic she was about her story, not just about Freya, but her whole writing adventure. After establishing a few connections, I promised her I would read the book, and we both promised to set up a Google Hangout so that she could share her publishing story with my students. 

On June 4th, Ms. Penndorf was able to meet with three sixth grade classes at Merrill Middle School in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  Using Google Hangouts, all three classes were able to participate in a discussion with the author at the same time, each from their own classroom.  Ms. Penndorf prepared a presentation describing her journey through the development of her first book that included the resources for her research, as well as the fateful events that inspired her ideas. Because Ms. Pennforf was able to see each room clearly, students were able to ask questions to her almost better than if they were all in one big room together.



I want to thank K.W. Penndorf, Mrs. Redlin, Mrs. Lubbers, and Ms. Frank for the time in preparation to make this an authentic experience for the students.  Their willingness to take a risk not only helped produce an experience directly related to the student’s year long writing process, but has also helped promote a great way for teachers to expand their classroom walls through technology. I also want to thank the students for their great questions and participation.  No matter how much we might question the reliability of the technology in an event like this, putting student behavior and performance in the public can be a concern, and the students didn’t disappoint us.


Judging a book by it’s cover is certainly one of the most popular ways for kids and adults to choose a book to read. Ms. Penndorf shared with us how important it was for her to consider when deciding a cover and physical make up for her book.  If you have enjoyed the Harry Potter series, or Percy Jackson series, I think you will enjoy K.W. Penndorf’s Freya and the Dragon Egg. Now that you have met the author and heard her story, she’ll tell you it’s ok to judge her book by it’s cover. It means you understand the thinking and work that went into the whole publishing process as well as a very entertaining story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.