Monday, January 27, 2014

Looking for Heroes: Dare to be a leader!

Something needs to change.  It's time to redefine heroes in our schools. Heroism does not need to refer to superpowers and incredible strength. Heroism is about courage, and the courage to lead.  Heroes try to do the right thing, and will stand up for what is right. Heroes attract the attention of the silent majority until evil stands alone either to conform or repulse; hopefully to conform.

I'm looking for somebody kids can look up to, and somebody to inspire them.  I want somebody who will amaze people with their effort, without expecting a reward. I want somebody who is brave, and will stand up for what they believe in, and avenge a wrong. I remember students like that. I have met students like that. Where are they now?  Where are our student heroes?


It used to be that a kid could find heroes all around them.  Athletes, TV celebrities, and movie stars were the people you mimicked, and who you wanted to be when you grew up.  It used to be a dream to be president.  What happened to that? Athletes have tainted their image with outrageous salaries and lies.  Celebrities display a level of high and mighty, and a, "You can't touch this!" attitude, and seriously, we can't.  Finally, I can't forget to mention the most influential characters on some of our kids today; characters of video games.  Whatever fanciful character they built up in their gaming to kill the next level opponent is now who kids think they can to be.

I know that sounds dark and somewhat pessimistic.  I certainly don't want to discredit any of the random acts of kindness that are a part of our daily lives.  People continue to amaze me daily. Rarely, though, do we hear about these things. For kids, to be labeled such a, "goody two shoes," can be detrimental to their self image. It's much safer to be a part of the silent majority.  Who then makes up the influential, vocal minority if nobody steps up?  Who do you think? You can see them filling the chairs outside the school office daily. They have no problem catching our attention. We need more student heroes.

Where is the kid in my class who took control of the debate, and discussed angles to a problem I didn't even consider?  Where is the kid in my class who read every challenging book I had on my shelf, and made me work daily to come up with new ways to engage them? Where is the kid who made such a powerful presentation that it motivated the discussion in the class so much, it took up the whole class hour? Where are they now?  Why don't I see them leading? They used to be so loud, what has made them silent?

We need more student heroes. Imagine this.  Our assemblies are lead by kids, and our announcements are given by students.  Our PBIS is demonstrated by our peers, and not a video of some perfect school in Timbuktu. Would the silent majority listen then?  Why wouldn't everyone gather around these types of leaders instead of the ones who constantly promote negative relationships around us? When did it become cool to be so uncool?

Start a discussion.  Am I wrong, or am I right on?  Am I being over-dramatic? Am I blind to greatness around me, and not giving enough credit to kids that deserve it?  Let me know what you think.

Take a positive risk today. Lead! I dare you.

7 comments:

  1. I'm on the fence with this. It would be nice to have students stand up for themselves, but then they would have their own rules to follow and wouldn't agree with anyone else. But the good thing about students leading the school is that they can give their points of views upon different problems. Think, if Merrill Middle was lead by students, Merrill would be a proud and intelligent school to all new teachers and students. But then there are some drawbacks. If students grew up with someone they feel really close they grew up with, they may not have the courage to lead the school and may not be able to share what they have inside because their friend could be more independent they he/she is. They don't want to lose that friend, so they try and explain what they have in mind, but students are shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand why being a leader means losing friends. Wouldn't a leader be accepting and tolerant? Would the potential for more friends grow for the leader and everyone around them?

      Delete
    2. I think the point that Audrey is trying to make, is that leadership comes with it's bad sides to. Being leader gives you a power that can be a " Gate Way" subject. Having power can change people, making them rule crazy, and different to their friends. It would seem to most people that that he/she is a different person to them, then what they liked when that person was different.

      Delete
    3. Wow. Eli. I hear you. Good leaders won't abandon you, just like good friends. Good leaders are good connectors. They bring people around them along for the ride. They bring out the good in people around them. If it's a power thing, that's not a good leader or friend.

      Delete
  2. Mr. Kohl, thank you for sharing this post. I agree. We need to see our students take this challenge. There are so many adults at Merrill that want to foster and grow leadership. I hope one student that reads this could step forward. I would be willing to have lunch once per month with students that want to take on a leadership role at Merrill. What would be on the first agenda? You decide. Who's up for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an awesome idea Mrs.Olson. I will be willing to try to take a leadership role and I will try to get some of my friends to try it also.

      Delete
  3. I'd like to thank all the writers for the Merrill Voice. These kids have shown the desire to take a risk and put themselves out there for their peers, teachers, and the community to critique. Perhaps we need to find more outlets for our leaders. That can certainly be the responsibility of the school.

    ReplyDelete

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.