Friday, December 13, 2013

I WONDER Who the Next Amazing Character Will Be?

Wonder by R.J. Palacio - I can't help but wonder what I would have done if I would have met a character like August Pullman.  I have read a lot of books in the past few years, and I am happy to say that this isn't the first time I have been pulled into a character like I was as I read, Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I still wonder what happened with Donald Zinkoff in Jerry Spinelli's book, Loser.  I wonder how long the legacy of Petey Corbin stuck to the people who were able see inside his severely handicapped body in the book, Petey by Ben Mikaelsen. I wonder if Melody found her real voice in the book, Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper. Finally, I can't leave out Kevin in Rodman Philbrick's book, Freak the Mighty. I am sure that I am missing other great characters and other great books.  I hope some of my readers get personally into the characters of their great books the way I was able to hang with August Pullman and his family.

August Pullman is severely deformed.  That might be an understatement. He has a severe case of what is called, Mandibulofacial DysostosisR.J. Palacio doesn't describe the extent of his handicap right away, leaving the reader to wonder, "How bad could it be?" Auggie is going to to middle school for the first time.  If there was anywhere that courage is tested, it would be in middle school, especially since up until this time, Auggie has been home schooled by his overprotective mother. Auggie has the love and support of his family to see him through this new adventure where potential bullies and friends mix together testing not only Auggie's courage, but the courage of his family, and anyone who dares to see through his severe deformities.  The unique style of Palacio depicting the effects of living with a brother and friend like Auggie, makes the reader reflect within, searching for their own empathy and wondering, "How would I react if I met Auggie for the first time? Could I be a friend like that?"



I have been fortunate enough to meet quite a few people during my teaching career that have had to deal with handicaps of various types, some very severe.  One memory that stands out in my mind was from when I was 12. There was a pretty girl in a wheelchair who used to come to my baseball games with her family.  I was introduced to her by a coach of mine.  Maybe he thought I could be a friend to her, I'm not sure.  If that was the case, I failed the test.  To this day I remember seeing her a few more times at the park, and I never had the courage to talk to her again. I was a shy kid, but I can't help but think it was her wheelchair that blinded me from ever taking that risk.  I wonder if she noticed, or if like Auggie, she was used to it.

In the book, Auggie has a teacher named Mr. Browne.  He places a precept on the board each month and challenges the kids, not only to interpret it, but to develop precepts of their own.  They can be made up, or quoted from someone famous.  At the end of the book, the author shares the precepts that characters mailed in. I made a precept of my own after reading this book.  What would your precept be?  Where does the idea come from?  What does your precept mean to you?

My Postcard Precept: Courage is not always using bulk and brawn in the face of danger. Courage is facing the demons of human nature with compassion knowing that there is another demon waiting for you.  Courage is also recognizing our own demons, and taming them through kindness and understanding daily.

3 comments:

  1. I think that this book is a GREAT book for middle schoolers and adults to because it shows how the emotions or actions of a disabled child really effects the lives around them and changes others perspectives of how disabled people feel inside and it is a great book to change reader's perspective on disabled people...children especially....it did change mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if R.J. Palacio has had experience with being in an environment with disabled children to motivate her writing on this book?

      Delete
  2. In fifth grade I read this book and I knew that this book was going to be, based on real life. What I mean by real life is it's not unusual to see somebody that is disabled. In my opinion the book was somewhat tear jerking. Bullies that pick on disabled children and adults I disrespect even more than I would bullies that pick on non disabled children. Bullies don't realize what things the disabled do everyday, they don't wake up everyday to impress them. This book pointed out how lucky we are that we don't have to go have troubles in the way that disabled people do. Some people don't appreciate what they have in their life but they need to start to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

When leaving a comment on this page, be sure to elaborate on your thinking. Show me how you can participate or lead a discussion with your thinking beyond the literal text. The purpose is to develop your thinking and communication. Please keep your comment middle school appropriate. Thank you for joining this discussion.